CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 23, 2009

Wasting some time.

We're in the library and Trav's working hard on some math. I started to work on a paper but got bored. So I signed into Katie's xanga (another form of online journal) and started reading all the recent posts of some old friends.

Almost nothing changed.
Red and Beesh are still doing a long distance relationship, separated by schools.
Army boy is still proclaiming true love for the whole world to hear (but the name of the girl has changed).
Straight Edge gone Croaked still has a broken heart.
And BugsBunny is still totally cool but more or less, totally lost.

One of my old classmates even observed:
"Staten Island seems to be stuck in this rut of the past and it's just impossible to get itself out of it."

It kind of hit me when he said this cause I felt similarly when I was there. I knew he was a cool kid. Too bad neither of us ever got over our own personal pride to ever have a decent conversation.

It made me wonder how much I've actually grown in these past years.

It's good to be out of the swamp and into the mountain air.


...Maybe Staten Island isn't in a rut. Maybe it's just part of our personalities... Some of us indulge in drama. So do we circle back to our old problems just get the stomach to flip? While some bask in the sense of security. It's easy for them to fall in love or keep a relationship going cause it's healthy, safe and maybe in some cases, it gives purpose to a routine driven day.
I'm sure people in the bubble of Utah Valley share those same personalities as the SIers. But the Mormon mentality of self progression and improvement plays for a good cover up.

Look at me and my generalizations.

2 comments:

alias: Ender Wiggin said...

I agree with you..although I think I'm stuck in between the 2 worlds haha. I want to go back to staten island (utah is weird) but when I visit, I'm do glad I don't live there anymore. Because everyone is doing the same things since HS. I'm sure if I was raised here, I'd feel the same way.

Jin said...

I love the way you wrote that post, it was beautiful. :) I feel ya, my high school friends are the same way, hanging out with the same people and doing the same things. I guess people aren't really forced to change unless they move far away. You are a brave girl. :)